Monday, November 15, 2010

What *IS* love?

Dear Prince Charming,

I am like most girls, and so therefore, yes. I like someone right now. I've liked him for over 4 months, and at this point my friend is convinced I'm in love. I'm not so convinced, but it has left me wondering what love IS, and how I'll know when I DO fall in love.

To me, love isn't the physical aspect of the relationship. It's unconditional. You would love them even if you weren't able to physically express that love, you would love them even if they were to make a mistake. Loving is forgiving. Love is respect, honesty, trust, communication, patience, understanding, friendship, and hope.

It's when you know they love you back. Unconditionally. And you know they'll never leave you. The way you'll love me, someday. :)

According to a class I took, this is the real love list (as in, real love, not the real list):

1. The person giving the love doesn't need or want anything from me.
2. The person is firm. He does no "please me" or do whatever I ask. He does not go against his own feelings in order to "not hurt my feelings." He is true to himself.
3. I know I am loved because he listens and understands me when I talk or relate to him. He takes turns listening and talking and doesn't tell me what to do or what he thinks until I ask and often I ask. He doesn't always agree, he cares what I think and feel.
4. He hugs me. He holds me. He takes my arm or hand. He is not afraid of physical affection. He doesn't use this for some deficiency of his own. It's never anything to do with sex. It's brother-sister love, human family love.
5. The loving person respects me. He makes me feel there is something inside me that "turns him on." It's a non-verbal thing; a certain "soft" look in his face, a certain tone in his voice, the way he sits or moves - it's all right there.
6. His love is permanent and sure because it's based on his feelings for himself. It's guaranteed he'll always like me, since he'd have to stop loving his own inside self to stop loving mine.
7. He wants to be with me.The loving person is happy when I'm near. He loves to be alone, too. He loves me more than he needs me.
8. I know I am loved because he tells me. The person who loves me is not afraid to say it. He usually tells it like it is; good or bad. You know he'll tell you "where it's at," because he likes the truth better than pleasing or displeasing you.

I guess my problem is that I love all my friends. I'm not in love with them, but I love them. So I have no way to figure out when I'm in love... But I'll know. :) Because I'll be in love with you :) Maybe you're not the guy I like now, maybe you are. Only time will tell.

Love,
Your Princess
A Damsel Out In Real Life

No comments:

Post a Comment